Blog Post #5

    The first time that I used Instagram for my Personal Learning Network was when I was in my freshman year of high school. Group chats would be created to talk to my friends about projects we had to work on and group chats would also be made for different classes. These group chats were even more useful during COVID when all of my classes were online. Twitter(X)/Instagram will be helpful in my future career when I am a teacher because I will be able to contact other teachers and see any possible resources they post online. I can get inspiration for classroom setup, lesson plans, general advice, and more.
    The digital divide can affect student success in schools by allowing upper-middle class students to become more comfortable with technology and thus letting them have more opportunities in the workforce. On the other hand, lower-class students will not be able to enjoy these same opportunities because they do not have access to technology. Some causes to the digital divide include income level which can affect how much money someone has to spend on technology. Income level of the people living in school districts can affect the funding each school gets, thus leading to a further digital divide. As a future teacher, I should expect that not all of my students will have adequate access to technology and I will have to adjust my practices because of this. Like the digital divide article states, I will educate and expose my students to as much technology as I can. If there is a student that does not have access to technology at home, I can provide an alternative way to submit the assignment or I can make it a paper assignment instead.
    From my experience, I would love to implement google classroom and class dojo in my future classroom. Google classroom is an easy way to submit assignments online. For example, fifth grade students can submit an essay on google classroom instead of handwriting an essay. This would not necessarily work for lower elementary, but this can be a great tool to implement starting in third/fourth grade. One academic software that is useful across all elementary grade levels is class dojo. Each student can create their own avatar and teachers can award/remove points from each student based on how well a student is doing in that class. Additionally, parents can also see how their kids are behaving in class based on class dojo. It is a great motivator for students to do well and can be used by teachers to reward students for their hard work.

Comments

  1. Hey Karina. I loved your post because it was really relatable and interesting to me. I also had the similar experience of having Instagram group chats over online school. Not to mention, we both agree about wanting to implement google classroom into our instruction. I agree that it would be very beneficial because of its organization and engaging aspects. Have a good rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karina!
    I hope you're doing well. While reading your blog post, I could strongly relate to how we used technology during the COVID pandemic times. Group chats are what I used as well to stay connected to friends during that time. Additionally, I also think Google Classroom is a good implementation to utilizing technology in the classroom. I used that platform a lot during COVID and it was jarring to come to college and not use it anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #8

Blog Post #1